Caltex Fuel Your School – Tech Jam 2017 is an enrichment program that aims to spark curiosity in coding and tinkering through free interactive workshops that bring theoretical knowledge to life through fun art and design applications.
The program features free interactive workshops that aim to inspire students’ passion for innovation and encourage creative thinking, while breaking perceptions of traditional gender stereotypes associated with the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
Integrating arts and design with traditional STEM subjects, the following projects avaialble at the workshops were specially curated by the Science Centre mentors for their simplicity, relevance to real-world applications, and gender neutrality:
- Sewing with Electronics – Introducing students to the emerging field of e-textiles, and the broader industries of wearables, architecture, and smart homes.
- Programming with Arduino – Introducing students to the world of coding, robotics and electronics through coding projects.
- Music with Makey-Makey – Introducing students to coding and electronics through the creation of music with real world objects.
- Creating with Paper Circuits – Introducing students to electronics through craft projects that adds light to their paper creations.
We tried out the Creating with Paper Circuits workshop where we made simple electrical circuits using LED lights, copper tape and batteries.
The children were introduced to the basic concepts of electrical circuits – they learnt what materials make good conductors and that the circuits need to be closed for electricity to pass through.
Look at their happy faces when they figured out how to light their LED lights!
Once they figured out the basic concepts, they quickly moved on to making torchlights and lighted paper flowers using the provided craft materials. I was very impressed!
At the session, we also got to try out a Makey Makey flower piano:
Such an enriching session – my boys were so inspired they continued to build circuits at home all weekend!
Caltex Fuel Your School – Tech Jam 2017 is open to the public on the weekend of 14 and 15 October 2017. Simply present your Plus! Card and Caltex fuel receipt at the Science Centre to enjoy 20% discount on admission fees from 8 Sep to 31 Dec 2017.
Good news – I have a set of Caltex Fuel Your School – Tech Jam 2017 goodies to 1 lucky winner. The set will include:
- 2 sets of goodie bags (consisting of notebooks, paper circuit bookmarks, VR headsets)
- 4 tickets to Science Centre Singapore
To participate, all you have to do is:
2) Leave me a blog post comment telling me which Caltex Fuel Your School – Tech Jam 2017 workshop you would like to go for. Don’t forget to leave your name and email.
3) ‘Like’ my Facebook post on Caltex Fuel Your School – Tech Jam 2017, tag 3 friends and leave me a comment telling me who you would bring to the show if you win the tickets.
4) Add me (‘Olimomok’) on Instagram.
Then complete the steps in the following Caltex Fuel Your School raffle by 10 Oct 2017 (Tuesday) end of day (Singapore time). This giveaway is open to Singapore residents only.
Do check out Caltex Fuel Your School – Tech Jam 2017 on the weekend of 14 and 15 October 2017 for tinkering fun and learning! Hope to see you there!